April 2, 2010

Engage and tell your story

Have you ever wondered how I come up with all of the projects and stories that I share here on the Experience Optimism blog?  Let me explain...

Occasionally someone will email me a story or a picture to let me know of a great project their Optimist Club is performing in their community, but most often I get my ideas from participating in chat rooms, listserves and now the most popular "chatroom" of all, Facebook. 

However, hearing a snippet of a story is not enough.  After I hear or read about something interesting, I research the story.  I visit the Optimist Club's website, read any newspaper articles I can find and if needed, I email people to confirm what I have learned. 

Often what we talk about online is repetitive.  To overcome that obstacle, I have also set up Google alerts to help me identify new projects, new clubs, new ideas and even twists to the old stories.  That's why in a non-scientific study, I can tell you that Optimist Clubs get the most press for:
  1. Fundraising efforts
  2. Respect for Law programs
  3. Optimist Oratorical Contest
  4. Making donations to others
  5. Sports programs
  6. Youth Appreciation Week or Student of the Month programs
I specifically look for stories that show children are recognized for being good kids.  Those stories are getting a little easier to find and I credit that to the ease of the internet.  More Optimist Clubs have their own websites and blogs and that makes it easier for freelance writers to find stories, write about them and submit them to online publishers.  The use of social networking like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn has also made Optimist Club stories more accessible.

Of course there is sometimes a downside to my plan.  It can be labor intensive to find all of these stories; but the reward is knowing that more Optimist Clubs are being recognized for the programs and positive activities they do in their community.  That is why I make myself available for Optimist Clubs who want to expand their online presence and engage with their community and other Optimist Club and service club leaders.  Send me a message to find out more.

Also, please send me your stories.  I want to hear from your Optimist Club today.

Categories

alabama alberta anguilla arizona arkansas arts B.W.I. barbados british columbia california canada day cayman islands ccdhh celebrations change charitable Christmas Trees childhood cancer campaign childhood literacy childhood wellness campaign children citizenship college colorado communication community building community development community service do the right thing donation doodle 4 google drug abuse easter education enchantment engagement essay contest experience optimism Facebook faith fellowship festival fishing fitness florida food drive football friend of youth friendship fundraiser fundraising generation gap georgia good government grand cayman gratitude Halloween happiness hawaii health and welfare healthy club checklist holiday hope idaho illinois indiana inspiration internet safety iowa iron eyes jamaica jay leno join an optimist club jooi joy junior golf kansas keep america beautiful kentucky leadership louisiana maine manitoba marketing maryland membership mentor michigan minnesota mississippi missouri Montana motivation music sunday n carolina n dakota nebraska new jersey new mexico new optimist club new york ohio oklahoma ontario opportunity optimism optimist club optimist clubs optimist creed optimist international optimist international convention optimist international foundation optimistic story of the day oratorical contest oregon outreach partnerships patriotism pennsylvania playground pnw district promotion public relations quebec quotes recognition recycling respect respect for law s carolina scholarship school supplies schools service clubs share optimism social media south carolina South Dakota st. maarten stories success talent show teachers Ted tennessee testimonials texas traditions twitter virginia volunteers w. virginina washington website wisconsin young adult youth appreciation youth safety youth sports