January 3, 2011

A personal story of acceptance and commitment

I was always a joiner.  Throughout high school and college, I would join groups or work for causes that needed an extra set of hands, an energetic voice or an empathetic view.  It was with the same purpose that I joined the Optimist Club of Granite City, Illinois in 1987.  It was the right thing to do—everyone should give back to their community through service. 

At that time, the Optimist Club consisted mainly of older, retired gentlemen, many of whom had  given of their time and treasure for many years to make their community a better place to live.  They liked things a certain way and a young woman recently out of college boded change.   For three years, I attended meetings, served on committees and struggled not to be threatening to the status quo.  The club was a pillar of the community and I shared that respect for its members and deeds.

In 1991, I lost my mother to lung cancer.  It was quick as she passed away only four months after being diagnosed.  Losing a parent is never easy, but the grief that accompanied this painful farewell was palpable.   My new-found Optimist friends compassionately stepped in.  They encouraged me to turn my grief into service by asking me to be their club president.  I accepted.

These two events are intertwined in my memory.  They had a profound change on my life.    The change came from being included – the invitation to lead this influential group meant that I was accepted into the old boys’ club.  But it also meant that I had a support group to turn to outside of my immediate family.  Finding comfort and security from friends as well as family gave me the confidence to succeed at this challenge and not be afraid to reach for even more. 

Our Optimist Club thrived and it set in motion a career in Optimism for me.  After club president I accepted district and international leadership positions.  I so admired the ideals of the organization that I went to work for Optimist International so I could share my passion with others.   In yet another life-changing moment, I met an Optimist volunteer and moved from Illinois to Idaho. 

My Optimist story could have very easily ended with this move.  In fact, it was placed on hold while I established myself in a new location and career.  Almost twenty years after my delayed Optimist journey began I attended a banquet featuring Ronnie Dunn, the first female president of Optimist International.  Her message about sharing our strengths, reaching out to others, and fulfilling the Optimist mission of bringing out the best in kids reminded me of the work I had yet to complete. 

You see, I discovered that my life-changing experience should not end with me.  Real change can come full circle only when we empower others – children, adults, acquaintances and friends – to give of themselves by reaching for their full potential.  We must always pass the gift of service forward. 

Categories

alabama alberta anguilla arizona arkansas arts B.W.I. barbados british columbia california canada day cayman islands ccdhh celebrations change charitable Christmas Trees childhood cancer campaign childhood literacy childhood wellness campaign children citizenship college colorado communication community building community development community service do the right thing donation doodle 4 google drug abuse easter education enchantment engagement essay contest experience optimism Facebook faith fellowship festival fishing fitness florida food drive football friend of youth friendship fundraiser fundraising generation gap georgia good government grand cayman gratitude Halloween happiness hawaii health and welfare healthy club checklist holiday hope idaho illinois indiana inspiration internet safety iowa iron eyes jamaica jay leno join an optimist club jooi joy junior golf kansas keep america beautiful kentucky leadership louisiana maine manitoba marketing maryland membership mentor michigan minnesota mississippi missouri Montana motivation music sunday n carolina n dakota nebraska new jersey new mexico new optimist club new york ohio oklahoma ontario opportunity optimism optimist club optimist clubs optimist creed optimist international optimist international convention optimist international foundation optimistic story of the day oratorical contest oregon outreach partnerships patriotism pennsylvania playground pnw district promotion public relations quebec quotes recognition recycling respect respect for law s carolina scholarship school supplies schools service clubs share optimism social media south carolina South Dakota st. maarten stories success talent show teachers Ted tennessee testimonials texas traditions twitter virginia volunteers w. virginina washington website wisconsin young adult youth appreciation youth safety youth sports